Keith Wolak, an attorney and Certified Public Accountant, focuses his practice on estate and tax matters, which includes matters relating to minimizing estate taxes through wealth transfer contingency planning, as well as addressing fiduciary appointment. Mr. Wolak is a Board Certified Indiana Trust and Estate Lawyer, certified by the Trust and Estate Specialty Board. He has counseled clients on the various ways to effectively transfer wealth, including the use of Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, Testamentary Trusts, and Revocable Trusts. Mr. Wolak also prepares gift and estate tax returns. His work also includes representing estates in probate.
In addition to his estate planning practice, Mr.Wolak advises clients on entity formation and has handled both business and real estate transactions. He has also helped clients establish private foundations, tax exempt organizations and public charities. Additionally, he has significant experience handling contested matters. Mr. Wolak has represented clients before all levels of the IRS and before the United States Tax Court.
Prior to joining the firm in 2008, Mr. Wolak practiced law in Munster, Indiana. Before becoming an attorney, he was a staff accountant with Crowe Chizek & Company where he was responsible for preparing corporate, personal and partnership tax returns, as well as conducting audits for a number of the firm's clients.
Areas Of Practice
- Estate Planning and Wealth Preservation Practice
- Business and Corporate Practice
- Tax Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified Indiana Trust and Estate Lawyer, as certified by Trust and Estate Specialty Board
- Certified Public Accountant, 1996
- Indiana, 1998
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, 1998
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1998
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1998
- U.S. Tax Court, 1998
- Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana
- J.D. - 1998
- Honors: Glenn Peters Fellow, 1997-1998
- Indiana University
- B.S. - 1992
- Honors: with Honors of High Distinction
- Honors: Beta Alpha Psi Accounting Fraternity
- What Does Everyone Need to Understand About Asset Protection?
- Who Controls Your Electronic Media After You Die?
- Planning for the Net Investment Income Tax
- Social Security Benefits: In Context
- PPACA Mandates New W-2 Requirements
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Lake County Bar Association
- Porter County Bar Association
Pro Bono Activities
- St. James the Less Catholic Church - Member, Finance Committee , 2006 to Present
- Meals on Wheels of Northwest Indiana, Inc. - Board of Directors, 2009 to 2019
- Kiwanis Club of Highland - Past Distinguished President, Past Fundraising Chairman, Past Board Member (2003 - 2018)
- Beta Alpha Psi